The Director of the Ichabod Shop, Bookstore, is responsible for directing all university bookstore and Bod Shop locations’ operations and managing the significant relationships with on-campus stakeholders, vendors, and contractors. Through proactive and creative leadership, the Director will ensure the Ichabod Shop, Bookstore locations provide cost-effective course materials, offers a wide variety of clothing, electronics, software, sundries, trade books, and gifts.
For early consideration apply by 06/01/2021
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Hire, assign, and direct staff related to general operations to maximize sales, customer satisfaction, and financial performance.
• Provide support, training, and resources to bookstore staff and support a strong student worker training program.
• Develop and maintain compliance with sales, record keeping, and all other necessary procedures.
• Ensure all processes and job duties are formally documented and kept current in an operations manual.
•Facilitate a culture of continual improvement by identifying, quantifying, and implementing efficiency opportunities.
• Maintain a mastery level of technical knowledge of software systems utilized and a high level of current knowledge of industry trends, standards, and innovations.
• Support the store’s mission statement and ensure each staff member understands the relationship of their work and the greater mission of the University.
• Serve as a liaison for the bookstore to University departments to support the development of strategic partnerships and create and support new initiatives.
• Represent the bookstore and the University with consortiums, group organizations, and off-campus vendors.
• Develop annual goals for the bookstore operation.
• A primary responsibility is to achieve income over expenses while maintaining a low cost of course materials. The bookstore’s financial performance is recorded, benchmarked, and reported to University leadership and the bookstore team periodically.
• Produce periodic financial statements and reports.
• Establish annual revenue, expense, and capital budgets within University guidelines.
Bachelor’s degree and four years of retail experience at the managerial level, or equivalent combination of education and managerial-level retail experience. Experience working with POS and inventory control systems. Familiarity with accounting systems and financial report preparation, i.e., income statements, accounts payable/receivable. Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record according to the University’s standards. Ability to lift, carry, or maneuver equipment and materials weighing as much as 50 pounds.
Preferred: Business degree. Experience in bookstore operations in higher education. Experience with Missouri Book Systems (MBS) POS retail software or similar software that has linked modules of inventory, accounts receivable, accounts payable, point of sale (POS), and a retail website. Experience using Ellucian Banner software. Knowledge in the use and sales of current course materials in a higher education setting.
For early consideration apply by 06/01/2021
Background and driving history checked.
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching-focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service. Washburn University is an EOE. Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Additional Salary Information: Excellent benefits package available low health insurance premiums, dental, vision, life, disability insurance options, retirement contributions. Employer contributes 10% of employee's salary annually towards retirement.
Internal Number: S0229P
About Washburn University
Washburn University is a teaching-focused, student-centered, public institution located in the metropolitan setting of Topeka that has earned national recognition for its high-impact programs for first-generation students. The University has created educational pathways for all students to be successful and achieve their educational goals. Washburn is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a culturally diverse staff, faculty, and student body and cultivating a vibrant and inclusive curriculum.
We offer competitive wages, an excellent benefits program, a supportive leadership team, and a healthy work/life balance. At Washburn, we seek to create a work environment and organizational culture that reflect the core values of the institution. We strive to ensure a campus climate that supports the success of every employee and appreciates the unique skills and expertise each contributes to serving our students.
BACK TO TOP
The mission of the University Risk Management and Insurance Association is to advance the discipline of risk management
in higher education.