Functions and Responsibilities: Position is responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of all unit budgets across EM. Monitors division financial activity and makes recommendations on an ongoing basis. Tasks include management of human resources, financial strategy, forecasting, accounting, formulating and preparing budgets, financial analysis and reporting, requisitions/bids, projecting revenues and expenses, developing and processing contracts, invoice and transaction approval, ensuring adequate internal controls, ensuring sound processes for handling billing and receivables/payables, identifying and implementing ways to conserve limited financial resources, and overseeing all administrative functions. Responds to queries from Audit and Compliance and is responsible for ensuring division-wide adherence to university HR and fiscal policies.
Budget Director is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction to the Vice Provost regarding organization structure, budgets, and enrollment planning. Provides strategic direction to the Vice Provost concerning hiring, promotions, career paths, and position reclassifications. Conducts research and analysis on strategic initiatives to measure return on investment and identify and inform programs that will have a positive impact on the student body and student success efforts. Responsible for leading and developing EM's annual proposed budget and academic planning budget request.
Functions as liaison between EM, the Office of the Provost, Division of Finance and Administration, and Human Resources. Communicates relevant university and state procedure and policy updates to EM staff and students as appropriate. Ensures strong working relationships are in place across the EM Division, campus, and community partners. Position will serve all departments in EM and has direct supervision of two full-time staff positions. Supervision includes goal setting, hiring, terminating, training and developing, and reviewing performance of staff.
Required Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field (degree in other disciplines combined with relevant work experience may be substituted)
· 4+ years fiscal management experience
· 2+ years of supervisory experience
· Extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite
· Progressively responsible experience in financial administration and planning
Preferred Education and Experience:
· Master’s degree in business related field
· Experience Banner (student information system) and Taleo (HR system)
· 4+ years fiscal management experience in a university setting
· 3-5 years of SAP (IRIS) experience
· Experience in Enrollment Management, Admissions or Financial Aid
· Experience with financial modeling and analysis
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Strong analytic, finance, and budget management skills
· Ability to prioritize and manage complex projects in a fast-paced environment maintaining attention to detail and accuracy
· Excellent leadership, administrative and problem-solving skills
· Ability to research and analyze financial information and make appropriate recommendations and projections
· Strong interpersonal, time management, communication and organizational skills
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Proficient ability with spreadsheets, databases and accounting software
· Knowledge of accounting principles
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Working knowledge of SAP or equivalent software
· General knowledge of enrollment management, admissions cycle and financial aid/scholarships
· Knowledge of university fiscal and human resource policies
Applicants should submit a cover letter detailing relevant experience along with a resume and the name, e-mail address, and telephone number of three to five professional references.
Internal Number: 200000016Z
About University of Tennessee
UT is the state’s flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling more than 30,000 students, the campus is in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university, UT fulfills its access mission through a commitment to excellence in learning, scholarship, and engagement. The EM division comprises more than 150 full-time staff who serve our students through the following departments and functions: Undergraduate Admissions, International Recruitment, Transfer Center, One Stop Student Services, Financial Aid and Scholarships, University Registrar, EM Communications, and EM Research and Analytics.