Northwestern University Opportunity (Job ID 31202):
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Senior Director, Administration & Strategic Planning (Evanston Campus).
The Senior Director, Administration & Strategic Planning is charged with developing and implementing sophisticated and contemporary best practice policies and systems to support the business infrastructure of Northwestern McCormick (McC). The Senior Director provides thought leadership to develop strategic plans and optimize (financial, manpower, space) resource utilization in support of McC School of Engineering's teaching and research mission and in coordination with NU Central offices including Provost, Budget, HR, Research, TGS, Facilities Management, Risk Management, Change Management, and Compliance. Ensures operational excellence in finance and budgeting, talent acquisition and performance, facilities, and business services of the school across the diverse portfolio of McC academic departments, professional masters programs, institutes, programs, and centers. Innovates McC business services and organizational structure and supervises the HR, Business Services, and Customer Service Center staff within the McC Office of Administration, Finance, Facilities & Planning. Nurtures collaboration with other NU schools as well as peer engineering schools; and represents the AFFP Office on standing and ad hoc committees. The position reports to the Associate Dean of the McC Office of Administration, Finance, Facilities & Planning (AFFP).
*For full consideration please submit a cover letter.
* Strategic Planning and Leadership: Reporting to the Associate Dean of the McC Office of Administration, Finance, Facilities & Planning, the Senior Director, Administration Planning owns a portfolio of strategic projects and is responsible for creating and implementing meaningful short- and long-term operational plans to address strategy and structure; (financial, manpower, space) resource allocation and customer services. Optimizes for the whole (ecosystem) rather than the individual unit. Develops effective, compliant and efficient resource optimization initiatives focusing on ROI. Facilitates the convergence of stakeholder working groups, including senior leadership, deans, chairs and administrative management to enhance McCormick's teaching and research competitiveness and visibility nationally and internationally. Identifies best practices and broadens their adoption. Contributes to the development of the annual McC strategy and budget plan for the NU President and Provost as well as the McCormick Dean's special projects such as research productivity and space optimization planning.
* Data Analysis and Translation: Manages the process of coordinating and assembling administrative data, and writes analytical reports. Interprets and translates data for the purpose of informing strategic administration decisions. Analyzes ASEE data, rankings, Cognos reports, McC Annual Report and AFFP trackers to define administrative KPIs, inform planning, and deliver transparent and consistent communication to internal and external audiences. Develops and maintains databases and reporting dashboards. Continually assesses trends in higher education administration and operations, as well as key performance indicators from general industry that may be applied within a University setting. Develops presentations for senior management.
* Business Operations & Customer Services: Supervises McC HR, Business Services and Customer Service Center and manages related policy and process. Innovates additional shared service opportunities to optimize administrative support to McC departments, programs and centers.
* Collaboration: Develops and maintains partnerships and positive relationships internally among the diverse profile of McC academic departments, professional masters programs, institutes, programs and centers; outwardly across other NU Schools and Central Offices; and externally with peer schools, associations and industry. Proposes strategic alliances.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's in a major such as business administration, finance, economics, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
* 10 or more years' management experience in strategic planning, finance, budgets, administration, organization management and/or consulting; or other relevant experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
* Agile, strategic thinker; creative; decisive; able to implement change effectively. Accomplished leader.
* Adept in data/financial analysis to inform decisions and strategy.
* Knowledge of finance and semi-complex budgeting.
* Knowledge of talent acquisition, management and structure.
* Proficient in creating and delivering verbal and written communications and presentations to senior management.
* Strong interpersonal and management skills including ability to engage diverse constituents and influence strategic alignment.
* Proven project management skills, determining priorities, attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness.
* Ability to work independently as a self-starter and as part of a team. Experience in staff supervision and development.
* Ability to be empathetic while being judicious. Good listener. Politically savvy.
* Ability to use good judgment, maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy. Adhere to university and external compliance standards.
* Prior administrative management experience in higher education, preferably private research institution.
* MBA or master's degree in relevant field.
* Experience in space planning, research space construction, and facilities management.
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will apply for current openings. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 31202.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.