OHIO University is seeking a qualified applicant for an Accountant within the Capital Projects Finance department.
Established in 1804, OHIO University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills, its classic residential campus in Athens, Ohio, is one of the most attractive in the nation.
This position is accountable for accurate completion of all transactions within capital construction projects, financial reporting / reconciliations / compliance with restrictions associated with various funding sources, OFCC regulations, ORC Regulations, and Ohio University Policy. Support of staff within various campus departments, primarily VPF&A, Architecture Design and Construction.
1. Reviews bidding documents, proposals, and encumbrance requests submitted by project managers to select appropriate contract template and works with project managers and vendors to execute contracts, purchase orders, and change orders. Issues Notice of Commencement. Researches and compiles all necessary certifications and supporting documentation as required by the Ohio Revised Code, OFCC , and university policy.
2. Oversees invoice life cycle, including auditing, identification and analysis of discrepancies, authorization, and payment submission in both the state accounting system ( OAKS ) and Ohio University’s accounting system. Manages bond payment submissions for invoices funded with university debt. Completes disbursement functions by obtaining signatures and serving as a liaison with the bonding banks. Collaborates with the project managers and suggests corrective measures to resolve any issues.
3. Analyzes and reconciles funding sources for capital project accounts, assigning funds to budgeted project work based on internal authorization processes, regulatory constraints and approvals. Prepares financial reporting and invoicing for submission to external agencies as well as account reconciliations and supporting documents for internal and external financial audits.
4. Conducts monthly reconciliations between multiple accounting systems. Compiles data and completes accounting entries to resolve discrepancies, post interest, collect project management fees, return unspent funding to the proper sources, close projects, and completes interim and yearend accounting entries. Ensures that University Policy, donor guidelines, OFCC and ORC Guidelines governing construction activities are met. Complies with Bond Funding requirements as established by the IRS .
5. Responsible for project and award set up. Resolves issues with processes/systems and determines cause & solutions through completion of daily job processes and account maintenance for construction projects to allow for transactions to correctly post to the projects. Analyzes current accounting processes and internal controls to provide recommendations for process improvement to management.