Under general supervision of the Executive Director of Health and Counseling Services and designated supervisors, the Health Insurance Administration Supervisor is responsible for student health insurance related duties that are subject to a moderate level of control and review. Directs subordinates to complete assignments using established guidelines, procedures, and policies. Works on assignments regarding student health insurance, annual renewal process, waiver process, advertising, insurance website information, billing, coding, and reimbursement. Requires full knowledge of student health insurance processes, billing and coding procedures and must be able to collaborate with multiple units on campus.
Supervises the Insurance Coordinator, student health insurance processes, insurance waiver process, advertising of the student health insurance product, billing, coding and reimbursement of insurance claims. Establishes processes and ensures the efficient supervision and delivery of the student health insurance. Monitors the progress of these processes. Collaborates with multiple units on campus to ensure the delivery of services, waiver process and student check list are completed in an efficient and accurate manner. Ensures the delivery of high quality customer service to students and various constituencies. Recommends personnel-related actions. Supervises and follows internal policies and procedures. Requires detailed knowledge of the student health insurance plan, dental plan and vision plan. Requires detailed knowledge of insurance plan benefit levels and coverage limitations.
Serves on various campus and UCOP committees. Coordinates and collaborates with UCOP UCSHIP management team to ensure all deadlines and requirements are met annually in regards to the student health insurance, waiver process, advertising and committee participation. Updates the student health website annually and as needed to ensure accurate up to date information is present on the website regarding student health insurance. Reviews itemized monthly billing statements and presents findings to the Executive Director monthly. Prepares correspondence regularly to UCSHIP management team, Wells Fargo Information Systems and various campus entities.
Participates in the selection, development and evaluation of insurance, billing and coding staff to ensure the efficient operation of the department. Reviews the insurance claims submitted and ensures accurate payment of claims. Reviews and resolves discrepancies regarding insurance claims, referrals and insurance waivers. Must be able to use multiple computer systems to research insurance eligibility, claims etc. Resolves any billing/coding/insurance issues not resolved by the Insurance Coordinator. Reviews all reports submitted by the Insurance Coordinator and presents findings to the Executive Director.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training required.
• Minimum 2 Years of directly related experience.
• ICD-10 Medical Biller training certification and the ability to maintain certification is required.
• Working knowledge of the organization’s processes and procedures, rules and regulations required.
• Working knowledge of common organization-specific software, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications, electronic medical records, medical billing and coding software, insurance coordination and other computer application programs required.
• Interpersonal skills to effectively motivate others required.
• Skills to evaluate issues and identify resolution required.
• Strong service orientation required.
• Communication skills; both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities required.
UC Merced is the first new American research university built in the 21st century, with a mission of research, teaching and service. The campus opened Sept. 5, 2005, in the San Joaquin Valley. The university is about an hour north of Fresno, two hours south of Sacramento, two hours southeast of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, and 90 minutes west of Yosemite National Park.