This position, reporting to the Associate Director, is responsible for performing financial, compliance, and operational audits of campus organizations and departments. Incumbents are expected to have risk-based audit experience and to demonstrate proficiency in performing internal audit work which conforms to professional standards.
The incumbent is expected to fulfill their responsibilities with limited supervision while maintaining effective communication with audit leadership. Work assigned to incumbents will generally be well defined and is expected to be carried out with limited supervision. The complexity and size of audit assignments will vary significantly. This position will determine the scope of work performed, nature of testing completed, and the reporting disposition of results in conjunction with audit leadership. Incumbents are responsible for effectively communicating audit results, including the preparation of written reports.
The position will be involved in the department’s structured, limited-scope compliance review efforts, providing leadership and day-to-day guidance to assigned staff members. The incumbent will ensure timely progress and successful completion of projects by providing appropriate levels of supervision and quality assurance review to confirm the work of others is competently performed and meets established standards for documentation, thoroughness, accuracy, etc.
The incumbent will be relied upon to develop effective and creative ways to assess university operations. Seniority (senior/principal) will be established based on relevant experience and other factors.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, business information technology, or related field.
• CPA, CIA, CISA, and/or relevant professional certification.
• Demonstrated professional experience as an auditor.
• Demonstrated knowledge of General Accepted Auditing Standards and good business processes.
• Demonstrated use of effective problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated time management skills to plan, manage, and coordinate audit projects.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication skills (both in writing and verbally) to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization, including executive level management and administrators.
• Ability to prepare error-free documentation and correspondence in a professional and timely manner.
• Experience working in ambiguous and/or stressful situations. Flexibility, ability to change priorities quickly, and capacity to handle multiple tasks are required of this position.
• Data retrieval experience with programming tools that access hierarchical and relational databases (oracle).
• Demonstrated professionalism in working with confidential and sensitive matters with the utmost discretion and tact.
• Possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic environment that strives to exceed expectations.
• Proficiency in current office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, and relational databases.
• Periodic in-state travel may be required. Overtime may be required occasionally to complete work assignments on time.
• Hired applicant must successfully pass a background check.
• Advanced degree in a related field.
• Significant audit experience of or in a higher education or a not-for-profit organization.
• Previous experience with business processes of large, decentralized organizations.
• Previous supervisory experience in an auditing environment.
• In-depth understanding of key applicable federal, state, and local legislation.
• Experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Banner, PeopleSoft, or SAP.
• Experience using ACL, IDEA, or similar computer assisted audit techniques to aid in working more efficiently and effectively.
• Experience working effectively with diverse populations.
Additional Salary Information: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, w...hich are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.